“Don’t focus on having a great blog. Focus on producing a blog that’s great for your readers.”
As a blogger, everything that you do flows from understanding your audience and seeking to help them as much as possible.”
Question Two: What is blogging?
Blogs are a special type of website that usually displays date stamped entries in reverse chronological order, they are a social media equivalent to personal web pages and can come in a multitude of different variations from personal diaries describing the author’s life to summaries of all relevant informative in one specific content area.
A blog is also a website that contains an online personal journal with reflections, comments, media and hyperlinks provided by the writer.The main purpose of having a blog is for the author to share his or her views. Blogging is about creating an individual journal that is public for all to see, inviting responsive comments from the readers/audience. Blogger was the first blogging website launched in 1999 by Pyra labs and google bought blogger in 2003 and added its own features such as integration with picasa to enable the users to post photos.
Nowadays blogs are now being used for business purposes, also as a form of social media, as a form of self expression and connecting with people who are interested in the same topics or same interests as you, creating a platform to build a relation with the readers as they comment on posts and sharing though social media with the whole world.Effective blogs require understanding of the key attributes of blogging which are voice, frequency, style, features and the passion to become a blogger.
Retrieved from - http://www.jeffbullas.com/2013/03/11/10-insights-on-social- media-and-blogging-influence-new-research/
The role of blogging:
- creating everyday conversations with readers to make the posts/ messages personal
- self expression or sharing opinions
- connect with the readers of the same interests
- help a business get its message into the world by writing, sharing and posting
- Attracting readers that are interested in the same things as you though having an interesting title, theme or design.
Bloggers write about topics that they are mostly passionate about or topics that they want others to learn about.
The role of blogging in Social Media: In social media blogging is used for :-
- Engaging with readers/ users
- Posting in a schedule manner. Post daily or regular interval
- Sharing links/ images/ videos related to your topic/ blog and your comment or to ask
- a question and sharing opinions
- Keeping an eye on social media trends and upcoming websites.
- Talking about trending topics or topics of interest in your blog
- Keeping your profile information up to date for the readers and followers to build trust and loyalty.
- Targeting users based on demographics and various interests.
- Adding humour and adding personal touches into posts and comments.
- Increasing trust and loyalty with your readers and followers
Who should have a blog? and why?
Kaplan, A.M. & Haenlein, M. (2010). Users of the world unite! The challenges and opportunities of social media. Business Horizons, 53(1), 59-68.
McHaney, R. W. (2012). Web 2.0 and social media for business, Ventus Publishing Aps, http://bookboon.com/en/textbooks/it-programming/web-2-0-and-social-media-for-business